Friday, September 25, 2009

Eco friendly friday old school LOL


So I have a baby in the house. I love having a baby in the house. There is just something about a baby that makes me happy. I love rocking them, feeding them and taking them for walks. I love babies. My baby is 14.
Alison, the baby, has been sick since she got here. Poor thing has an ear infection, a cold in her chest and in her eyes. It just breaks my heart. A few nights ago Alison was fussing, so I went over to the sofa to check on her, and she was running a fever. I told Dayana, the mom, to go get me two clean towels. Dayana just looks at me. I said "The baby is running a fever and we need to cool her down."
I cleaned out the kitchen sink, placed a towel in it and ran some cool water. So there is Alison just chilling in a sink with some cool water. By now I have an audience. Dayana, Amber and Nikki are all watching me. I told them to get me some Tylenol and some jack. They did as they were told.
Everyone is watching me as if I am doing something exciting. I gave the baby some Tylenol and I rubbed some Jack Daniels on the babies gums. My girls just laughed at me and Dayana was shocked at what I just did.
It was then that it hit me. I had turned into my mother and grandmother. They taught me every trick in the book. My grandmother would say "Your mother is still here and so are you, so sit down and shut up."
This week I showed Dayana so many "old school" things. How did we all survive without some of the modern stuff that babies have today? Teething gel? That was whatever whiskey my parents had on hand. Baby food? That was whatever could be mashed with a fork and given to us. Diaper cream? That was corn starch on our bottoms.
Yesterday Dayana and the baby were still congested so I draped our shower and I told Dayana to grab the baby, and that it was time for a steam bath. By the time they got out, they both were feeling good. There is nothing like a good old fashion steam. Once again I had turned into my mother and grandmother.
Is that such a bad thing? I hear all this stuff about saving our planet and how we should be very careful about what we buy, use, and do to our planet. I think we should all take a look back. I would love to be able to talk to my great grandmother and ask her how things were done in her generation.
We all live in a world of technology, and we have a ll the modern convinces that we could ever want, but are we really better off, or are people just putting products out there to trick us into thinking we need them. Yes, some of the stuff is safer and better, but not everything.
Maybe what we all need to do is take a look back, so that we can all move forward. Now if you will excuse me I am going to go give the baby a bath in the kitchen sink. Yep, no baby bath tub here.

1 comment:

moshell's lilbit of space said...

Amen sister....AMEN. I often go back to old school ways. I don't believe all the products that are out there for our use are worth a crap, just emptying your pocketbook.

Here's to a great day my friend.

About Me

My photo
lake elsinore, ca
I am a stay at home mom. I am also married to a veteran and he is the love of my life. I keep it real here and I hold nothing back. My life is a roller coaster ride, so strap on your seatbelt.... here we go!