Tuesday, September 29, 2009

What I did


Today I should have done a lot of things. I should have packed since I am leaving for Yuma in the morning. I should have changed the sheets on my bed, but I did not. Today I threw everything out the window and I went to base.
I went to base to say good bye to some of my marines that will be leaving soon. Today was my last chance. So we did what everyone would do in my shoes. We walked on the beach at sun set and sang we all live in a yellow submarine. I talked with the boy's, I hugged them and most of all I told then that I love them.
We all went to dinner and before we left I asked them if they would mind walking on the beach me when they got back. They said they would. I am going to hold them to that promise. As we were walking out I turned around and said "well boys I will see you in seven months". That was it. No tears.
Here I sit. sand on my feet. Jeans that are wet. Yet, I feel like crying. I can't cry. Rusty would say "that is what marines do, they go to war."
Can I say that I hate this war. I want it to end. I want to see all my boys stay here. I don't want to hear that they are cold, or hungry. I don't want to say my good byes. I don't want to have to write them letters.
I want them to walk through my door and say mom we are home. Just like they do every weekend. I want to smell bbg, and have my house filled with laughter.
I know that my time will come. Soon I will be able to do a happy dance because I will be making welcome home posters. Soon.
Tomorrow I am heading to Yuma. Rusty is going out there for work, so I am tagging along to help him out, and to spend a little more time with him. I must say that I fall in love with my husband more every day. I want to spend every waking moment with him.
Life is good, even if you are looking through the tear filled eyes.

4 comments:

betty said...

hope you are having a good time in Yuma, Kelli; glad you had an opportunity to take a road trip with Rusty and spend some time with him

I know it is so hard to say goodbye to your boys when they go off to war; I am glad we have brave young men/women who are willing to fight for our freedom; it is sad that we will always have wars on this earth, but there is hope that one day there will be peace again :)

betty

Missie said...

Enjoy your evening!

Paula said...

Kelli I'm so glad you can get away with Rusty and I'm sure he will be glad for the help and company.

Gerry said...

Have a good trip to Yuma. I don't know of anyone who has said goodbye to more soldiers and welcomed them home with joy and good food and laughter. You are doing something much needed here. Gerry

About Me

My photo
lake elsinore, ca
I am a stay at home mom. I am also married to a veteran and he is the love of my life. I keep it real here and I hold nothing back. My life is a roller coaster ride, so strap on your seatbelt.... here we go!