Friday, January 9, 2009

eco friendly Friday

Yep, Valentines day is right around the corner. We just get all of Christmas stuff put away, we take a little break and here comes Valentines day.



Valentines day is not one of my favorite days, but if Rusty forgets it I will be sad, because that is the one time a year that he buys me chocolate covered strawberries. Oh I can taste them now.



The other day when I was cleaning out the closet I found some valentines that the children had made for Rusty. They were very simple, and yet Rusty loved them! I want to bring some simplicity back to my valentines day.



I have done a little research on some eco friendly idea's for Valentines. Our son only has 5 children in his class, so I have discovered that animal planet has valentines that you can print out! I think this is a very good idea. I can use my recycled paper, print just what I need. I won't have to waste the gas to go to the store, I won't have to buy more then I need! This is so perfect, if you only need a few Valentines for your children to pass out.



Chocolate is my down fall. I think at one point in my life I did make it a food group. I started looking at some more eco friendly chocolate, and there is a lot out there! My favorite is the endangered spices chocolate. they will donate a % of each sales to endangered animals, and the chocolate is all natural and not made with slave labor.



I am always looking for way's to spice things up, but while doing it on a shoe string budget. This year I think I am going to make our bedroom look as romantic as possible. I will light a few candles, bring in a bottle of sparkling cider, put on a new little thing ( that I got for Christmas) and I just hang out with my husband. I am not asking for a lot, and I want to make it as nice as possible for as little as possible.



I want this valentines day to be special with out a lot of money being spent. Flowers die and they are expensive, balloons deflate and end up never breaking down in our land fills. Or worse yet they end up in the ocean and they kill animals.



You don't have a valentine? Then make one. Start think about how many different way's you can make someone else feel special this valentines day. Can you buy a bag of dog or cat food and take it to a shelter? Can you buy a pack of diapers and donate them? Can you offer to babysit so a single mom can take a bath in peace.



I want to hear from everyone. How are you going to green up your Valentines day? Please check out the following links.

http://www.chocolatebar.com/shop/c-35-valentines-day-gifts.aspx

http://animal.discovery.com/features/cuddle_corner/valentines-day/cards/cards.html

6 comments:

Missie said...

Have a good weekend.

LIZ said...

Ok now you have me thinking again. I dont know what Im gonna do yet but I will let you know what I come up with. I have to have my chocolate though...I cant live without it!!!

Heli gunner Tom said...

What are you going to do when Satan's world BANS religion? You may not have to wait until that happens-- as the Democrats are doing a quick, slam dunk job already... lol.

Tom

betty said...

I'm with you; chocolate is a food group! all great ideas to make a neat Valentine's Day without ruining the planet :)

betty

Amy said...

You get chocolate covered strawberries?! Gyahhh....I'm salivating at the thought.

Gerry said...

Hmm, I am going to have to think about this. I do buy chocalate sweetened with splanda. I love it because I love chocolate, but I am eating a whole lot less of it than I used to. I did bring Doc a gift today of the latest cartoon video, Wall-eye, which only cost $1. I have to go to the Star video on Monday when I get it, so I might find a romantic movie for Valentines day with a hidden kick in the but in it. Ha. Gerry

About Me

My photo
lake elsinore, ca
I am a stay at home mom. I am also married to a veteran and he is the love of my life. I keep it real here and I hold nothing back. My life is a roller coaster ride, so strap on your seatbelt.... here we go!