Sunday, October 26, 2008

karma



Lets back track several years. Back to when I was the wife of an active duty marine. It was then that I read an article about a group of women in Germany. These women heard that our service men and women needed some quilts. It was not just any group of service men, these were our wounded warriors that were being flown from Germany back to the states. The air craft that they fly on is very drafy, and these women decided to help out by making quilts.

I loved that idea. When Rusty came home from work I asked him if we could move to Germany. My answer was a very quick no.

O.K., so I packed my idea away. There was no way that my husband could get stationed in Germany.

Fast forward to last friday. I got an e mail and I did not know who sent it, so I opened it. This is something that I never do! This lady was talking to me like we had been friends for ever. Then in the last half of the email she gave me an update on the wounded warrior center down at Camp Pendleton. This lady even showed pictures of some of the quilts that were donated to our boys.

I email this lady back and said " I am not sure how I got your e mail. I am a quilter, but my quilts are not near as fancy as the ones you took picturers of." I gave this lady my number.

About an hour later this lady calls me! We talked on the phone for almost two hours. At the end of the conversation I asked her how I could help out.

I was told that the wounded warrior center needs baby blankets. What? Why would the wounded warrior center need baby blankets. The wounded warriors want them so that their children can have a blanket just like dad. The blankets don't have to match, they just want something to give to thier children. They also need bigger quilts that they can send to Germany! What I can finally help supply blankets to our wounded warriors who are flying home? Yes!

I mentioned to this lady that I had a stack of baby blankets sitting in my closet and that I was getting ready to donate them to the aniamal shelter because I could not find anyone else to take them. Now I know why making baby blankets was so heavy on my heart.

I will be getting together with this lady in a few weeks. I found out that she is a big tea drinker, so I am bringing the kettle and some fine china cups, and she has tea. This lady also said that so many people have donated fabric that she has more then she could ever use. So I will be going through all of her fabric.

My little place in this whole big world has been changed a little bit. I am now going to be the go to lady for baby blankets. Wow how did this happen? How did I get put in charge of making baby blankets for our wounded warriors? I have no idea, but I am up for the challenge.

On another subject. Yesterday was the worst day yet! I could keep my eyes open and I was so sick to my stomch. I did make it to the kitchen to get some baby food and one of the marines just walked up and gave me a huge hug and told me that everything would be o.k.

Today I feel great! So I am going to take advantage of it and get my house cleaned up and maybe run a few erronds.

7 comments:

Heather said...

I am so glad that in this season of your life you are finding a reason and purpose... I know you draw strength from helping others... what a blessing!

*hugs*
heather

Chrissie a.k.a. HoneyB said...

That is so awesome Kelli. How special for those men and women to be able to hand their children blankets like theirs. That is so special. I can't wait to hear more. I hope you take pictures of your quilts before they are gone.
So sorry you were feeling bad and glad it only lasted a day.
You are so awesome and if you get back half of what you give WOW.
Take care, Chrissie

Traci said...

You are making such an impact on the world. You may not think so but you are. I just attended a luncheon at church today for Jacob's blanket. We are first knitting or crotcheing scarves for Special Olympics and then getting back to making blankets for babies and toddlers in the area. I'm excited about getting started!

betty said...

I don't believe about karma

I think it was the Lord!! His hand is all over this!!! He put it upon you to make those baby blankets knowing there would be a need; you are serving him and doing his will, awesome

so sorry you weren't feeling good yesterday :(

still praying for you

betty

Melissa said...

thats so great that u could help and Im glad u feel better

MammawsDecorativeArt said...

A door was opened for you. There is a Bible scripture that I am hanging on to for dear life myself right now that says A Man's gift makes room for him and brings him before great men. It is in Proverbs. 18:16 I think you are being truly Holy Spirit led. You are such a blessing to so many people already! I am praying for you to be well soon.

Nelishia

natalie said...

dear Kelli
Many thanks for your comments about Halloween on my blog!
http://lurkynatsworld.blogspot.com
Kelli what emailare you using now?
you can email me a Lurkynat@gmail.com.
Will you keep your email at AOL? Or have one at Blogger too?
I am so sorry that Lewis lost your phone! You were so nice to him and to that nice young Marine!
Good luck with your new quilt effort!
I love ya, natalie
p.s.
how are you doing healthwise?
nat

About Me

My photo
lake elsinore, ca
I am a stay at home mom. I am also married to a veteran and he is the love of my life. I keep it real here and I hold nothing back. My life is a roller coaster ride, so strap on your seatbelt.... here we go!